- What were some of the main points in Thomas Groome’s book, “What Makes Us Catholic?” Do you agree/disagree and why?
Some main points in Groome's book, "What Makes Us Catholic" focuses on self-love. The book accentuates how we as Catholics are able to love ourselves. It outlines why we should love ourselves, starting with God. God created us, so if we hate ourselves, we, in turn, hate God. This sounds harsh, but it should inspire us to be more accepting of our flaws because that is how God made us. By accepting that into your life and living as God planned, you will honor him through your faith.
Some of the main points in the book, "What Makes Us Catholic
- What were some new things that you learned about Pope Francis’ life from the video clips?
Pope Francis' life was much different than I imagined. He was born in Buenos Aires and worked as a nightclub bouncer and a chemical technician, something I could not imagine the Pope did. I would think that he would have spent this entire life devoted to God from the very beginning. Another thing I learned was that his parents were not supportive at first, but eventually came around to the ideas of his faith. He is also a huge fan of his country's soccer team. It is interesting to see how normal the Pope is and how their early life shaped who they are today.
- What are different changes that Pope Francis is making to the way popes usually do things?
Pope Francis is a very progressive pope. He takes issues, such as climate change and sexuality, that is very politically discussed, and uses his faith to give advice. On sexuality, he says "Who am I to judge", which is such a profound statement. He also published Laudato si, which is a document that emphasizes caring for our common home, the Earth. He also raises the question of allowing divorced and remarried people to receive communion. Through this progression, Pope Francis has become very popular as people love him for expressing new ideas to the church.
- What hopes do you have for the present day Catholic Church?
I hope that out our Church is judged less by present day. I also hope we get more progressive in our teachings. We need to teach love and acceptance for all, and I feel that it is lacking. We need love instead of war with each other as well as stand up for what is right. We need to protect those who need love and encourage others to open their hearts. We need to stop violence and become less politically involved with violent and conservative practices.
Here are some iconic looks from the Met Gala. This is an example of the influence of the Catholic Church in everyday life.
“The Most (and Least) on-Theme Met Gala Looks of the Past 10 Years.” EW.com, EW.com, ew.com/news/met-gala-theme-looks/#the-ultimate-theme-party.
Thompson, Eliza. “Jared Leto Goes Full Jesus at the Met Gala With Lana Del Rey.”Cosmopolitan, Cosmopolitan, 8 May 2018, www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a20271122/lana-del-rey-met-gala-dress-2018/.


Comments
Post a Comment