Skip to main content

Blog Post #8



  1. In what ways did the people you learned about during this unit suffer? What was their reaction to their suffering?
The people I learned about in this unit suffered in great lengths to appease God and stay morally good. They were killed, thrown in prison, and tortured among the many ways of suffering they faced. They also faced mental torture from being excluded from society based on their faith. However, their reaction was that of strength. They took God's Word and Faith in Him to their heart the escape the torture and thrive as people. Although the apostles that we learned about suffered through great trauma, in the end, God helps them through this difficult part of their life and saves them from the pain.

2. Which story from the Acts of the Apostles did you find most inspiring and why?
The story I found most inspiring from the Acts of the Apostles was definitely Acts 5: 12-41. The apostles had the faith to openly profess their faith as well as heal so many people despite being thrown in prison. When God sends an angel to rescue them, they are not discouraged, but inspired to be better than they were before. The fact that they endured torture from the High Priest as well as horrible conditions in jail and continued to help people was amazing. I find this story inspiring because if the apostles can suffer through great lengths and still find the strength to overcome them, so can I. I loved hearing each story because they all showed examples of strength in hard times. 

3. How have you experienced challenges in your own life and how have you dealt with them?

I have experienced challenges in my life that have made me who I am today. My parents getting divorced was my first challenge and learning how to deal with a broken household while supporting and uplifting my siblings was my first task. I have also been challenged with anxiety, which has recently gotten much worse, along with bouts of depression. School has been a challenge for me because I am always expected to strive for perfection and will experience a lot of self-criticism for not achieving it, as well as from my parents. My relationship with my dad could definitely be a lot better which stems from my parent's separation. I have a lot of issues with my body from injuries which are a daily impact on me physically that I have not found a relief from. Self-acception is also a daily challenge that I need a lot of work on. With all of these challenges in my head, I try to find relief through riding, writing, art, talking with friends, and sleep. I love the outdoors so hiking and going to the beach really helps me chill out. Riding is my number one relief because it is my passion and I am truly happy when I am there. I still struggle with these challenges every day, but I hope as I grow older I can help myself and receive help from others to overcome them.

4. Who are people that you can turn to in times of need and why?
I lean really hard on my mom through my worst days, she is always there to calm me down and give me amazing advice. I have a really strong support group of friends who back me up with confidence and knowledge that help me get through the day. This sounds silly, but my horses are always there if I need to vent, or just spend an hour in silence. They are unspoken therapists and somehow give the best help I could ask for. I also have found some solace in a teacher here who I've confided to and in turn has helped me deal with some anxiety. I am getting into therapy to have a professional help me find healthy coping strategies and guide me on my way back to full stability. 

Seeing my horses, Iscar, C, and Pony, have been a consistent relief and passion in my life. I always look forward to see them and it's the best few hours in my day. I recently had to miss a day of school because my anxiety was so bad and I couldn't get through class, so my mom was sweet enough to take me to the beach and help me calm down. I wasn't cured immediately, but I was able to come back happier and stronger the next week. 

Comments