- What are some new things that you learned about the original disciples from the group projects? (Be specific).
From the group projects, I learned so much information about each and every individual disciple. Many of the disciples, such as Peter and Andrew. Many were martyred for their faith by being crucified, such Peter, Bartholomew, and Jude. I learned that Matthew's symbol was the winged man. I also learned that disciples had previous names, such as Matthew's previous name was Levi and Peter who was originally Simon. Another detail that I learned was that many disciples were buried in Saint Peter's Basilica, such as Saint Peter himself as well as Saint Jude. I was so interested in seeing how each disciple compared and contrasted with each other in great detail.
- Which disciple did you find most interesting and why?
The disciple I find most interesting is Saint Jude. I was first intrigued by him because there is the hospital, Saint Judes Children's Research, that was named after him because he is the patron saint of hope and lost causes. His name means His own first name, "Jude", means giver of joy, while "Thaddeus", another name he was called, means generous and kind. He is also a successful converting disciple after converting the King of Mesopotamia to Christianity. He died as a martyr after being clubbed and axed to death. He was then buried in Saint Peter's Basilica. He led such an interesting life both with Jesus and without, leading me to become so interested in who he was as a person. I loved learning about Saint Jude and how one person could touch so many lives both in his lifespan as well as mine.
- Based on what you learned, what are the characteristics of people who follow Jesus?
Based on the numerous presentations on each disciple, I have a much clearer idea of which characteristics make a good disciple. From the beginning of the disciple's life with Christ, it does not matter how they were previously. No matter what profession or kind of person you were, it did not matter in Jesus' eyes. After being summoned to be Jesus' disciple, loyalty, courage, and honesty were the most valued traits. Being kind to others as well as spreading the word was vital when Jesus was alive, and even more important after his death and resurrection. By being close to Jesus, each disciple was touched in ways that none of us can imagine. This was a large responsibility after Jesus' Ascension due to the large task of spreading his Word and risking death, which many disciples faced. Being a disciple does not matter about the materialistic aspects of a person, but more of an interior look.
- Do you feel that you display any of these characteristics (for example, standing up for something that you strongly believe in)? Why or why not?
I think that I display some of these characteristics that make up a disciple. I stay loyal to my friends and family through hard times and I stand with those who have been kind to me. I don't abandon my friends or anyone in a time of need. I display courage in hard decision-making situations and consult God for help. I spread God's Word to my fellow classmates, friends, and siblings throughout my daily life. I stay true to my faith and never renounce God in the eyes of heretics. Each characteristic is not only true to disciples, but to Christians who want to have good morals and live their life the way God wants them to.
Rooshanjfdo. “English Hymn St. Jude Pray for Us.” YouTube, YouTube, 8 Feb. 2013,
This prayer song is supplemental to my learning experience because it carries over the Prayer unit from out first semester of learning and translates into this unit. I can relate my use of prayer on song version to the details of Saint Jude.
Comments
Post a Comment